Saturday, February 28, 2009

iPhone in Japan - I am Satisfied

Despite sensationalist, hit-whoring and inane articles like this embarrassing one in Wired [1], as a long-term resident of Japan and Japanese cell-phone user, I think my iPhone is great in many ways. Unless you try to compare it feature-by-feature to Japanese cell phones, that is, but the iPhone is a paradigm shift, typical of many we see from Apple. It's just not the same sort of device, and should not really be compared to Japanese cellphones.

Japanese cell phones are indeed "cutting edge", sure, but a lot of the stuff on them is gimmicky and used infrequently if at all. I hear mention of "WanSeg" TV, but talk about an unpleasant user experience. Watching TV was so confusing on my KDDI AU phone, that I gave up, even after reading the thick manual (yes, I read Japanese). Apple spends great gobs of time and money to make sure their Apps are not like that, though. Apple products are of course not without their problems, but, they're pretty easy to use. That's a huge accomplishment that the feature-hoarders making Japanese cell phones have not understood. Are you listening, Panasonic, Kyocera, NEC, Sharp?

People complain that the iPhone software and hardware is proprietary, but you gotta be kidding me. Japanese cell phones are all about proprietary, in my opinion, and here's a sample of my gripes over the years:

  • Different interface per maker. Kyocera is different from Sony is different from Sharp.
  • New software to sync with Outlook every time you buy a new phone and limited options to sync with Apple OS X Address Book. Different data format per phone, which makes migrations hard.
  • Special formats required for built-in music players, especially Sony. What a chore to get mp3's onto a Sony for playback!
  • Number portability was not an option until fairly recently. Now, at least you can keep your number from company to company, for a monthly fee.
  • Limited standards adoption, for example in that only a proprietary bluetooth headset can be used with the device.
  • Incredibly poor English language text entry handling. My last AU phone from Sony could not enter a space in certain modes and a carriage return in others!
  • Limited ability to switch interface into English. Sony allows this, but my Sharp from a year before did not, for instance.

Apple's user interfaces are truly high quality compared to those of Japanese cellphones, but there are indeed a number of aspects about the iPhone which would pose a barrier to adoption, especially for a person very used to the Japanese cellphone ways or modes. No infrared data or personal information exchange, none of the Japan-only stuff like Suica (train pass) or "wallet" function (auto-debit credit card), no hook for a strap, and a different text entry method are some of the things that feel like obstacles.

Regarding these, though, I can exchange data by email or VCard without trouble from my Mac due to the built-in sync to my Mac apps, or, by using an app to do it, I don't want my wallet on my phone because I feel it's a risk so I have never enabled that, I have a case with a strap hook, and the text entry is wildly better, from my perspective, than that on cellphones. Even the TV thing, you can get a frankly unattractive and sort of knobby adapter to hook onto your iPhone to enable WanSeg. Oh, and the expense, well, you're indeed paying a premium, but it's still less than BlackBerry. The device is rather expensive but the data plan monthly is typical for "all you can use" programs here in Japan, running about 45 dollars per month.

On the iPhone upside, well, I mentioned the stellar interface which is multi-lingual. Japanese smartphones feel cheap in your hands comparably. There are some pretty usable apps (app store problems with regard to developer submissions aside) for it for a reasonable price and for apps that you just won't get for a Japanese cellphone. Music-wise, it's the same iPod flexibility we have enjoyed for years on iPod. Very easy to ingest a CD I own into the iTunes library and get it to play. Safari mobile is smooth. Switching between 3G and WiFi is pretty easy and smooth. We also get syncing I never had with a Japanese cell - for mail, calendar, contacts.

From a western perspective, and after 21 years here, I have the opinion that Japanese are not so good at synthesis but much better at analysis. They are quite content to grouse about the state of something (the analysis bit) rather than figuring out how to fix it (the synthesis bit) and without simply copying. If a thought leader explains why a thing is great, though, the Japanese are pretty willing to make that jump. Since Softbank, the only iPhone carrier, is seemingly always being announced as "nearly bankrupt" I am more concerned about Softbank going belly-up than I am about Japanese peoples' ability to figure out why the iPhone is a great device to own.

[1] In response to which there were a large number of comments, some even worth reading, and blog posts here by Mr. Daiji Hirata and here by Mr. Nobuyuki Hayashi. If all Wired's stuff is this poorly done, remind me never to believe anything they have on their site again.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said ... Thanks for posting this. Wired.com has practiced tabloid journalism by distorting the intent and direct statements provided by Nobi and Hirata

Rick Cogley said...

Thanks idannyb, yeah, they're getting off base, really.

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

Thanks for the article. Good to finally see more balanced articles about the iPhone in Japan.

I added a link to your post in the comments on my brief post about the misquoting incident here

http://www.mobileinjapan.com/group/iphoneinjapan/forum/topics/finally-a-balanced-debate

Paul Papadimitriou said...

A balanced view was needed. Thank you for the article. I enjoyed it much.

Rick Cogley said...

@Andrew, @Paul - my pleasure, thanks for the link, and for stopping by. --Rick

Unknown said...

Maybe a bit off topic but do you really think that the Japanese language text interface for the iPhone is "different"?

I'd use the world "deficient" or "agonizing".

For the record I'm make the comparison between one of those cheapo Softbank pre-paid phones (822P) and an iPod Touch (1.4).

The softbank phone has auto complete, it guesses Kanji from inputs, it remembers combination (so I put yoro-> and it gives me, in sequence yoroshiku - onegai - shimasu - period), etc.
All the basic stuff you expect a phone to do (and every Japanese phone I've had does).

The iPod touch mail interface is tiny, it doesn't remember much, it struggles to auto complete (you get a few bad choices, it never remembers previous selections) and it doesn't seem to be able to retain much of anything in terms of combinations (so you're slowly pounding out the same aisatu), there's no dictionary to enter things (my son's Kanji aren't "common" so I have to constantly type it in by hand); I find it amazingly backward.

Without getting involved in the "Japanese people love iPhones/Japanese people hate iPhones" debate I think that the terrible Japanese language input
feature is a problem.

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

I have pretty good luck with the auto-complete and it certainly does remember my entries and get better over time. I'm using an iPhone (not a Touch) so I wonder if there is any difference.

I've spoken to at least one Japanese person who stays the slide method of choosing kana (e.g. press ka and slide left for ki) is much faster than regular input when you get used to it. I'm still going through a painfully slow learning curve but am getting better.

Rick Cogley said...

Hi TheGoof, well, no, I have not had those problems but I don't have an iPod Touch. For example, I heard that the Touch's wifi is really iffy compared to what is in the iPhone. So there may indeed be differences in the version of "kotoeri" that is on the iPhone to what is on the Touch.

As an experiment, I entered my daughter Kylie's kanji 海里, and the iPhone remembered to put the combination at the top, after four tries. When I typed yoro, it indeed did not pop up yoroshiku onegaishimasu, but it showed the expected thing when I entered yoroshi... It might not be as optimized for what people want to type into their phone but I probably should not judge.

My staff at my company eSolia use iPhones, and they say the entry is different and takes getting used to. Old habits die hard, so I can see that this would be a barrier to adoption.

Thanks for your comments.

--Rick

Rick Cogley said...

@Andrew, I like the slide method, that's good. ShapeWriter is an app that uses that technique for English entry but I'll have to remember to try it when I enter Japanese on the iPhone, instead of randomly jabbing the screen with my fumbly fingers.

One app that is really nice to have on the iPhone, is Sax' EasyWriter. This app lets you enter in horizon mode, and use blackberry-like shortcuts. You can assign a code to a couple of sentences you often use. For example, bll might mean "be a little late" and expand to "Hi - sorry, I'm going to be a little late but I am on my way." I'll have to try it, but EasyWriter might also expand these codes to Japanese.

Of course, we can say that the iPhone should already allow these sorts of things, but it doesn't.

Best,
Rick

Andrew Shuttleworth said...

@Rick - Thanks for the tip on EasyWriter. The Free version is a no-brainer, but the Pro version looks like good value at just $2.99

Rick Cogley said...

@Andrew - yeah, I splurged and bought the pro version. Good value, in my opinion! Thanks for the follow on FriendFeed by the way. -- Rick

Paul Papadimitriou said...

@Andrew @Rick, what's the added value of EasyWriter (and esp. the Pro version) over, say, FireMail?

Thanks.

Rick Cogley said...

@Paul - not sure, because I have never used FireMail. Does FireMail support the shortcut method? In EasyWriter, you type a short text, and it expands that into a longer text, kind of like TextExpander on the mac. Does FireMail do that? If not, that seems like a or maybe the big difference. -- Rick

Paul Papadimitriou said...

@Rick I must be missing something. Did get the EasyWriter app and looking for the shortcut thing, but not finding any settings. Is this option only available on the Pro version?

Rick Cogley said...

@Paul - hi, I'm not sure. I have the pro version, and the shortcuts are under the "paperclip" menu. I'll upload a screenshot...

Rick Cogley said...

@Paul - here's what it looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickcogley/3321467103/

Regards,
Rick

Paul Papadimitriou said...

I'll buy the Pro version. Nothing like that on the normal one. Many thanks for sharing this with me.

Best regards,

Paul.

Rick Cogley said...

@Paul - glad to be of help.

--Rick