Thursday, June 25, 2009

Japan and Its People are Unique

At least that is what they tell me! I like Japan and have had some interesting, enjoyable and indeed unique experiences here, otherwise I would not have stayed in this country since 1987. But over the years, I've had an earful of people telling me directly or indirectly how unique Japan and its people are, and I've had to burst more than one person's bubble. Sometimes incorrectly.

A couple examples of the oft-heard "unique" characteristics of Japan and its people, from my first-hand experience:

  • Only Japan has four seasons. So my teachers lied to me about the nature of Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall? I'm shocked!
  • Japanese intestines are unique, so that is why Japanese cannot digest foreign rice and cannot import US beef. Quick, revise the anatomy textbooks.
  • Foreigners cannot understand the unique Japanese concepts of dignity and morality. Just ask Konishiki who was practically put on trial for not being dignified enough to perform his sumo-ly duties at the highest level, but while you do that, ignore the Japanese abusive Sumo stablemasters.
  • Japanese pregnancies take 10 months (!). It's possible that all that extra moral development occurs in utero, but I kind of bet it's got something to do with lunar months or the ancient Japanese counting 0 as 1.
  • Japanese Kafunsho (hayfever) does not exist in other countries. Put away that Allegra, you buncha fakers.
  • The snow in Japan is special, and unique, and that's why we cannot import foreign ski equipment because it just doesn't work here. Ah huh. A patent on crystallized water?

Of those, I dismissed the Japanese intestines-are-unique thing as being more politician wind-blow, but there is anecdotal evidence I've read in favor of it being true. I have to admit that that's physiologically possible for races (i.e. caucasian vs mongoloid) to be physically different, but the problem arises when eager-beaver politicians try to further some agenda by linking a longer Japanese intestine to Japanese "not being able to digest" certain foods. Same goes for thinking that "Japanese snow is unique", and therefore foreign skis won't work on it. Rubbish.

What I believe is unique are the aspects of the Japanese language that allow a detailed and evocative rendering of the weather, or seasons, a la Basho or a writer like Kawabata. By the same token there are things that Japanese language does not handle well, like anatomical descriptions. That's part of the reason the doctors use German and English and not Japanese, to describe ailments. So it's not necessarily that the Japanese language is "better", but that there are some well-developed aspects and some not-so-well developed aspects.

Rather than have a strange fixation on these comfortable yet largely inaccurate trivialities steeped in the language and (ill)logic of nihonjinron thinking, I would hope that the Japanese would focus on some of the genuinely amazing and far-reaching achievements of their countrymen, like Takamine's isolation of Adrenalin, the various management techniques of Toyota, or their wonderful cultural treasures (and I don't mean manga and maid cafes). I would hope that the government would teach the Japanese children, my children included, the true beauty of Japan, rather than resorting to weak arguments.

I'll leave you with something I saw today that triggered this aside, and thinking about my time here. Eric Hilton wrote in to the the Japan Times that he supplied a student with the (in my opinion very adroit) translation of a popular Japanese proverb "saru mo ki kara ochiru" (even monkeys fall from trees) as "even Homer nods", and he said that the student was amazed that proverbs even exist in English. Now that takes the cake, but at least one can say that the child is just an ignorant student.

That's more than we can say for the people who put such ideas into his head.

13 comments:

Orchid64 said...

I think the main problem you run across in Japan is that the Japanese are so insistent about how unique they are, even when there is evidence to the contrary. The "four seasons" one has always been a great laugh for me because there are areas of Japan (including Tokyo) that have such trivial winters that it doesn't really even have 4 distinct seasons.

When I tell Japanese people that I grew up in a place which had 4 truly distinct seasons that lasted about 3 months each (as opposed the 2-minute spring and autumn in Tokyo, the hugely long and oppressive summer, and extremely mild winter), they are incredulous.

The other thing is that you find the Japanese make a big deal out of every sort of "unique" aspect. There is "unique" and there is meaningfully unique. So much of the stuff is just unimportant (like the intestines thing). Let's accept that Japanese bodies are different (though that'd mean so are other Asians). Does it really matter? Does it affect their culture? Almost certainly not.

I think that this insistence on how unique everything is is irritating because there's an underlying sense of one's own specialness in the world which isn't warranted. People in other countries, particularly countries with mixed cultures that are accustomed to seeing the variety around the world, don't latch onto and take pride in what is unique. They just note it and move on.

Rick Cogley said...

Orchid64, thanks so much for your thoughtful and insightful comment. I've thought before that it is because Japanese are not very confident. They do tend to be critical, instead of gushingly complimentary, which might have something to do with that general attitude.

I was hoping to take a look at your blog, but when I click through to your profile I get a message that it is not set up. I hope you'll share some of your experiences as well.

Sincerely,
Rick

Anonymous said...

Yeah, nihonjinron is a bitch. I think the only thing you can really do is encourage more japanese students to study abroad, because I get the same incredulous attitude when I explain that it ain't too hard to find 4 seasons, sushi, S-O-V grammar, and hay fever in the west.

The attitude reeks of insecurity to me, as if having four seasons elsewhere somehow means that Japan's are less beautiful. The country needs to come to grips with the fact that it can be wonderful and special and celebrated without a monopoly on any particular piece of nature, culture, or behavior.

Rick Cogley said...

David, indeed. You know, it also explains the crappy treatment that kikokushijo returnees receive when coming back here. What a waste of good talent!

tomoakiyama said...

I have heard many non-Japanese people claiming we Japanese say only Japan has four seasons. But I wonder if it comes from their first-hand experiences - I haven't heard any of my fellow Japanese saying that. Can you guys tell me who so I can talk to them? :)

I don't think they are talking about seasons in a scientific or linguistic sense. It's often said Japan has a culture that puts more emphasis on seasonal change than many other countries do, and I've heard my people saying that. (Haiku is a frequently cited example. See seasonally-limited chocolates and snacks in conbini.)

Is it possible that it's misunderstood as meaning "No geographic region but Japan has meteological four seasons"?

I admit we Japanese tend to think Japan is more unique than it actually is though. But every nation, not only Japan, needs myths and they are often about their uniquenesses. Americans are proud of their freedom, entrepreneurship, etc. because they think they are different from other countries.

I've heard Koreans saying "Only Korea has four seasons" multiple times by the way.

Rick Cogley said...

Tomo, thanks for stopping by. Yes, those are my first-hand experiences, and I've had so many repeats since 1987 it's comical. I used to get irritated by the sheer repetition, but now I just enjoy the verbal sparring.

You seem to be implying that because you've never personally heard Japanese people say that, that it can't be valid so you'd like to be introduced to these people. Your very statement proves my point entirely, but besides the irony of this, there are plenty of examples you can find if you choose to.

Regarding your rebuttal I'm quite sure of the meaning of the various things I've heard. When someone says 日本にしか四季はありませんよね?外国にはないですね、四季は。...and this sort of thing, it's quite apparent what the person is asking and implying. I always tell them that I'm not sure where they heard that or learned that from, but there are indeed four distinct seasons in various countries, and it's a latitude thing, not a culture thing.

I agree that there are probably a few things about Japanese culture that emphasize nature or the four seasons or the changing betwee them, etc, but this is certainly _not_ unique to Japanese education or literature. If you believe it is, you need to "do you homework" as it were.

Mark said...

Tachikawa's city motto is "A city of four seasons" so the whole seasonal BS is real at least there, Tomo...

Rick Cogley said...

Mark, I did not know that about Tachikawa. Filed under "lame city mottos". Maybe this is one of those ice-breaker dialogs they teach all the kids in gradeschool.

Hello Mary, my name is Ken. It's nice to meet you. I am from Yokohama in Japan. Japan has four seasons. This is a pen.

In all seriousness, I think many Japanese are eager to try to communicate, but aren't so good at it, so what we hear all the time is a nervous attempt at that.

What might be relevant about this is the emphasis, crass commercial or actually cultural, on the changes in season and the events and in-season food. You do see a lot of 旬 "shun" signs at eateries around Tokyo at least, at the beginnings of seasons, and there's certainly no shortage of events. I participate in them myself, and eat shun food as well.

Rick Cogley said...

See? NHK says there's four seasons in Japan, so it _must_ be unique.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/fun/4seasons.html

tomoakiyama said...

> 日本にしか四季はありませんよね?外国にはないですね、四季は。

By 四季 (literally "four seasons") they mean the culture that makes as much fuss about seasonal changes as they do, not the seasons per se. At least to me it reads that way. And it's a relative comparison, not an exclusive one. -しか can be fuzzier than English "only".

Hawaiians say Hawaii is a good place because they have beautiful ocean and they know about the Carribean sea. Floridians don't believe their state is the only "Sunshine State" in the whole world.

But Rick, if the fact is they do believe Japan is the only country with four seasons, I have no idea. Maybe it's generational or social difference. And they need to be a little more objective.

I'm well aware of Vivaldi's "Four seasons", English songs/poems and Korean soap operas themed on seasons. But the Japanese culture does emphasize seasons more than many other cultures, if not all other countries. We know it's relative.

I admit many Japanese think their language is unique, although it's not. It's embarassing when some people claim gaijin would never understand the "subtle nuance" of Japanese. For many people, what's true about Japan but not true about the U.S. is an "only in Japan" trait.

And Mark, I saw Tachikawa's website and the motto wasn't about seasons anymore, but another generic one: Healthy city with lush greenery and emotional bonds.

Rick Cogley said...

Tomo - maybe so. There are certainly unique aspects of any culture, and similar aspects as well. I cannot speak for all foreign nationals in Japan of course, but I imagine the feeling of many of us is likely that it's tiring sometimes, being asked the same things and having the same old statements being parroted.

One really has to try to get past this smalltalk, but anytime a new person is introduced into the fold of your friends or relatives, you get this barrage of these similar sort of questions, and it just gets old, answering the same thing as though you were not a person who's capable of thought but a curiosity on display. It's not difficult to develop a aversion as in "uh oh, here we go again".

I like Japan and have been here for a long time, but, I had to change my thinking about and reactions to this sort of thing completely, otherwise I'd be angry at every social interaction with Japanese who are not so used to non-Japanese (probably unlike yourself, I think).

It seems like any time you try to debate a Japanese, they retreat with the fuzziness-of-Nihongo argument, but I'd say the dictionary is pretty unambiguous. My several dictionaries are pretty clear on what 四季 means.

If people _mean_ "the culture that emphasizes the seasons" they should say that. Though, we're starting to split hairs here.

Regards,
Rick

James said...

This is quite late, but I felt I'd throw in my two cents.

It's actually the American perception of pregnancy that's wrong on this one. Pregnancy usually hangs around the 10 month mark then the 9 months we usually refer to.

(try putting 1/1/11 in and see what you get)
http://www.webmd.com/baby/healthtool-due-date-calculator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy

Rick Cogley said...

Indeed James, thanks for stopping by, and for the extra info. I think the source of this perception is the same as when Japanese count a baby's age as 1 starting in their first year (they say "kazoe de issai"). Going by the calculator you cite, 9 full months will have passed, at the expected due date in Oct, since Jan to Feb is month one, Feb to March is month two, and so on. No?